As a behavioral health professional you know first-hand the challenges consumers face as they navigate the health care system. Many times primary care providers, spcialists and behavioral health professionals lack critical information about a person that can lead to delays in an accurate diagnosis or a harmful drug interaction. People with behavioral health needs often suffer needlessly due to a lack of integration between their care providers.
Health information exchange (HIE) can help!
HIE helps all types of health care providers better coordinate care for individuals by facilitating safe and secure transmission of critical health information — making information available when and where it's needed for medical care. It helps you better understand the whole health of an individual so you can provide the safest and best treatment recommendations.
HIE not only improves care coordination, but it also reduces the hassles you face when you need to share information with another health care provider. HIE helps decrease the number of phone calls and faxes between other providers and protects the information in a secure, HIPAA-compliant way.
Behavioral Health and Health Information Exchange Project
With support from the Rose Community Foundation, CORHIO is leading a project to better understand the challenges and opportunites of using health information technology (health IT) and HIE to better integrate behavioral health and physical health. The Behavioral Health and Health Information Exchange Project, a collaboration with several Colorado-based behavioral health associations and organizations (listed below), included a series of community input meetings and the creation of a report with recommendations on improving integration of behavioral and physical health using HIE.
> Learn more & download the report now! (PDF)
Behavioral Health and Health Information Exchange Project Steering Committee Members:
- Colorado Association of Alcohol and Drug Service Providers
(a.k.a.) the Colorado Providers Association
- Colorado Behavioral Healthcare Council
- Colorado Department of Human Services,
- Division of Behavioral Health
- Colorado Mental Wellness Network
- Colorado Regional Health Information Organization (CORHIO)
- Community Reach Center
- Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health - Colorado Chapter
- Mental Health America of Colorado
- National Alliance on Mental Illness – Colorado Chapter
- Quality Health Network (HIE based out of Grand Junction)
Helpful Educational Brochure for Behavioral Health Providers:
Moving Forward with the HIE in the Behavioral Health Community
For More Information
- View brief recorded update on Behavioral Health Information Exchange
- Learn more about CORHIO's HIE Products & Services on the For Providers page
Get Started With HIE!
Share Your Opinions & Suggestions About CORHIO's Website - Take Our Survey Now!