What You Need to Know on Final Meaningful Use Rulings; Slides From CORHIO Boot CampDate: October 28th, 2015Category: CORHIO e-NewsletterTopics: Meaningful Use
Earlier this month, the final Meaningful Use rulings from CMS were published, which affect all stages of the program. Here is a summary of those changes along with informative slides from CORHIO’s recent educational event, including more details on new Meaningful Use objectives.
On October 6th, the final rules of Meaningful Use and 2015 CEHRT were released, which cover modifications to stages 1, 2 and 3 with a comment period for Stage 3 portion only. They also affect the electronic health record system certification criteria. This long-awaited information is pivotal in the continuation and eventual close-out of the EHR Incentive Programs. Here is a brief summary of the changes.
A few notes on what is NOT changing:
- All eligible professionals (EPs) and eligible hospitals (EHs) must reach all objectives using 2014 Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT).
- Eligibility requirements remain the same.
- Adopt, Implement or Upgrade (AIU) is still available for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
- Medicaid is accepting new providers for incentive payment; Medicare will no longer accept new providers for incentive payments.
Overall Programmatic Changes
- EPs and EHs are required to attest to a single set of objectives and measures. This replaces the core and menu structure of previous stages.
- Reporting period for EPs, EHs, and CAHs will be based on a calendar year.
- Any continuous 90 days between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015 (EPs)
- Any continuous 90 days between October 1, 2014 and December 31, 2015 (EHs and CAHs)
- In 2016, the EHR reporting period must be January 1 and December 31 of the calendar year.
- If the practice is not able to attest in 2015 due to the final rule being released so late, practices can apply for a hardship exemption in 2016.
Note: The Colorado Registration & Attestation system will not open in January. The system will likely not open for EPs until late spring 2016 for 2015 attestations. The site will open for EH and CAHs in fall of 2016 for 2015 attestations. Watch the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program newsletter for updates.
2015-2017 Changes (affecting stages 1 and 2)
- All EPs and EHs will attest to modified Stage 2 in 2015.
- Special thresholds and exclusions for those scheduled to attest to Stage 1 for 2015 only
- “Topped Out” objectives have been eliminated – such as recording demographics and vital signs.
- Modified stage 2 objectives include:
- 10 objectives for EPs
- 9 objectives for EHs and CAHs
- Required e-prescribing objective
- Public Health objectives have been combined into one with multiple measures
- Menu objectives have been eliminated and all objectives are now core (required).
Stage 3 Changes - Proposed
- EPs and EHs have the option of attesting to Stage 3 in 2017 and everyone will be required to attest to Stage 3 in 2018.
- Measures require using a 2015 edition CEHRT.
- All objectives are the same for EPs and EHs with slight variations in some measures.
- There are 8 objectives in stage 3 vs. 10 for modified stage 2.
- Thresholds are increasing for CPOE, e-prescribing and care coordination objectives.
- Starting in 2018, all Medicare EPs and EHs will be required to report CQMs electronically.
- CMS is accepting comments on stage 3 for two months after the October 6th release.
Download Slides From CORHIO Boot Camp
We are pleased to offer the information from CORHIO’s recent Health IT Boot Camp to all e-newsletter subscribers, including many more details on changes to Meaningful Use objectives. Click below for slides on the topics you’re interested in:
- Introductory Remarks from the ONC
- Changes to Meaningful Use 2015-2017 (including stage 2)
- What’s Next for Meaningful Use (including stage 3)
- Health Information Exchange
- Quality Reporting (including PQRS, MACRA and VBPM)
- Medical Home Certification
Additional Meaningful Use Resources From CMS and CORHIO:
- 2015 Program Requirements
- EHR Incentive Programs for Eligible Professionals: What You Need to Know for 2015 Tipsheet
- EHR Incentive Programs for Eligible Hospitals & CAHs: What You Need to Know for 2015 Tipsheet
- EHR Incentive Programs: 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) Overview
The changes to the EHR Incentive Programs are confusing, and we can help. For more information on our how our Transformation Support Services team can help you navigate how these changes affect your specific practice or hospital, contact us today.